Monday, January 27, 2014

More is Godly.

I know.

Strange title, right?

I can promise you this though, at the end of this blog, you will agree....or disagree.  But you will understand.

I saw this post on Facebook today that made me want to jump up and scream "Hallelujah, somebody else gets it!!!".

I didn't, only for the fact that my sweet husband lay asleep next to me after his night shift last night.  He will appreciate that. I feel sure!

The post was about a mom who doesn't appreciate the sexy selfies that are placed on social media for the whole world to look at, including her sons.

If you've never read it, you can find it here.

Now before you get all up in arms on me because you've posted one of these spoken pictures or your daughters currently do, just hear me out.

I don't have sons yet, so I'm speaking purely of my husband and future sons.

It drives me CRAZY to watch the things that are posted on social media.  It disgusts me.  I spend half my time hiding things on my newsfeed that I have no desire to look at, than actually using social media for it's intended purpose (whatever that is).

And the first thing I do is tell my husband, "Honey, be careful of your newsfeed today." And his response is either to hand me his phone so I can hide it or hide it immediately himself.  

I hope you aren't sitting there thinking that my husband MUST be a perv if his wife is having to do this for him.  BUT that's where you would be wrong.

First of all, my husband is FAR from a perv.  And secondly, I don't HAVE to do this.  I choose to.

I consider it my number one job to guard my husband's heart in any way possible.  I pray daily that God will shield his eyes from things around him so that he can share the gospel with a pure mind and eyes set on Christ.  I pray that God will give him strength to abstain from lusting of the eyes, not because I think he might lust, but because he is a man  and anyone who would argue the fact that men are visual creatures has never met a man!!!  Even Godly men still struggle with their flesh.  Not because they are pervs or WANT to look, but because their eyes are naturally drawn to things where the devil knows he can cause them to stumble.

Granted there are definitely men out there that, in fact, DO want to look and do nothing to prevent it.  But we aren't gonna visit that subject today.

I have read several blogs in to past where women writing about these things have received quite the lashings from readers saying that men are responsible for themselves and women shouldn't have to filter what they wear just because it may cause a man to stumble.  But think of it this way.  If you want to help someone who is struggling with alcoholism, do you invite them to your house and serve alcohol to everyone but them?  

Absolutely NOT!!!!  

As believers, we should be attempting to keep our brothers and sisters from stumbling under any circumstance. Not just lusting.  In the same way, before you get dressed in the morning or take that sexy picture, think about it....If someone was struggling with lust, would this help them stumble or keep them from it?

So back to what I was saying before....

My husband is everything to me.  And I choose daily to protect his eyes and his heart through prayer and through warning him when I see a potential problem.  

But HE protects himself also.  By prayer, yes definitely.  But also through turning his head when he sees something he shouldn't.  

When we watch TV, I don't have to say a word before he already has his head turned when the round girl comes out with her little sign and little outfit on UFC.  And when she is gone, I tell him it's safe.

I already know what you are thinking.

"He does it at home when he is WITH you, of course."

But guess what?!?!?  He does it away from home too!  Don't believe me?

Ask his friends that he watches UFC with.

One time, he played in a softball tournament with some guys. Some he knew well, some he didn't.  After the softball tournament, the guys decided to go to lunch.  Now Robert had carpooled with someone else so he was along for the ride regardless of where they went.  And guess where they picked to eat....Yep, you guessed it.....

HOOOTERS!!!

Robert chose to sit in the car while the other guys ate.  Did he catch flack about it.  I'm sure he did.  But did he waiver.  Nope.

While the other guys sat in hooters ogling breasts popping out of shirts and booties popping out of shorts, my husband sat in the car praying and counting the minutes until he could come home to his wife.  Not so he could sound like some upstanding man who does no wrong because he does his fair share of wrong, as we all do. But because he loves me with all his heart.  He loves me as the Bible says he should love me.

It sickens me to think of how those other wives must have felt when their husbands came home that day.  That's IF they even told their wives where they went.  I know some women who say it doesn't bother them when their husband eye balls another woman, but that is a flat out lie.

How can it not bother you?  How can it not bother you that when you are making love to your husband, it may not be you that he is seeing when he closes his eyes but rather the hooter's girl with perky boobs ten times the size of yours.  That is adultery.  Plain and simple.  The Bible calls it as such. And I don't care what you say.  Somewhere deep down, it HAS to bother you.  

On those days when nothing fits and you feel ugly and fat, tell me then it doesn't bother you.  On those days when you look in the mirror and realize what having kids has done to your once perky and flat body, tell me then it doesn't hurt that your husband would rather look a hooter's girl then his wife.

I. Don't. Believe. You.

God intended men to be protectors and lovers of their wives.  And that ladies, is part of the deal.  Your husband is protecting you when he shields his eyes from that kind of stuff. How so?

Because he is shielding himself from making his expectations of you comparable to fake boobs and always in the gym butts (sorry mom, hiney just didn't sound right for this one).  Let's face it ladies, how many of us look like that?

And even if you do.  Your husband will still wander with his eyes if you aren't praying for him daily and he isn't making the same effort to be as Christ like as possible.

So next time you decide to post a picture of yourself sunbathing or trying to get sympathy that you need to go to the gym by posting a picture of your already flat abs, think about it.  Does that picture have the potential to make young men, husbands, older men or even, other women who struggle with lusting, stumble?

If your answer is possibly, DON'T POST IT.

Don't be the reason that somebody stumbled in their walk.

Lots of men in this world are trying their hardest to be different and be like Christ.  You are expected to do the same if you are a believer.  Cover yourself up and be modest like a lady should be.

More is Godly when it comes to clothes and covering up.

Do it.  Be a respectable woman.  Be a woman that other women don't think twice about their husbands being around.  It will pay off.  I can promise you that.  And if you aren't married but waiting for the man that God has set aside for you, imagine how much more you will love and respect him when you know that he has set his mind to be pure for YOU!  And imagine how much sexier you will be to him when he knows that you have saved, not only your body, but even the looking of your body only for HIM.

Make that decision today to be a help to your brothers and sisters in Christ and not a hindrance.

1 Peter 3:3-4

Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel—rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

1 Timothy 2:9-10

in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.

Matthew 5:28

28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-5

For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God;

1 comment:

  1. this was an awesome blog! you are truly an inspiration and your faith and walk with God is awesome. You and your husband are wonderful role models. thank-you! I don't see this kind of commitment very often these days!

    ReplyDelete